-Steve. Applejack is an Earth pony and one of the main characters of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Oh well, off to slaughter another tin of unsweetened pie apples, hope they’ll turn out nice for Sunday tea! I like to cook them down until there is very little liquid left in the pot. Applejack, which tends to outweigh Calvados in the ABV department, is ideal for mixing in classic cocktails such as an old fashioned, Manhattan, and, of course, the Jack Rose. When Fall rolled around, we’d often have one or two trucks that would stop by our produce stand with fresh mountain grown apples for sale by the bushel. Apple Jack Sazerac. They were OK but I think would be much better how you did them with dried apples – problem is if I tried to dry fruit in the sun, if the dogs didn’t get them first they would attract rats and mice. What we didn’t eat right away, would end up in the wooden cabinet with the glass doors that we called the pie safe. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. They’d intermittently remove frozen chunks of ice, which would cause the unfrozen alcohol to become more concentrated in the remaining liquid. Pinkie Pie invites Applejack and her family to spend Hearth's Warming together at the Pie rock farm. Your recipe and pictures are wonderful. I’ll send you an Email every once in awhile to remind you when I post a new recipe, or when anything else of importance is going on around Taste of Southern. Depending on the size of your hand pies, you might be able to cook two or three at a time. Hello Pinkie Pie has apparently snuck out a few new episodes buried within one of their giant compilations. However, if you want the least methanol, apple pie moonshine, made by a reasonable person, will have less than either the Cider or the Applejack. I suppose you could also do them with a mild onion instead of leeks. In Crusaders of the Lost Ma… (Pinkie breathes, but Applejack shoves a hoof in her mouth before she can speak.) I missed this.” Applejack Applejack is a female Earth Pony and one of the main characters of My Little Pony: Pony Life. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. Pinkie Pie: Oh. Just remember, all comments are moderated. The only thing more American than apple pie might be apple brandy. 10/10. And guess what, some ice cream to go with them!! Trim pastry to 1/2 in. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you add your name to our list. Applejack is upset over the loss of Bloomberg, and Rainbow Dash tries to comfort her. The shooting stars are meant to represent Applejack's parents according to storyboard artist Sabrina Alberghetti. https://neighborfoodblog.com/2014/10/amish-apple-fry-pie-recipe.html Cape Malays are the descendants of slaves and servants brought here from the East Indies in the 1600s and 1700s and a lot of our local traditional recipes are based on what they cooked for their masters. Check out the video below, with timestamps for a Fluttershy episode, along with a full mane 6 episode that introduces Applejack… It’s great to hear from you. The word “jack” derives from the process of freeze distillation, which has historically been called “jacking.” Applejack was/is commonly distilled from apple cider. Smile. I’m interested in the potato candy? Maybe you can get up to The Pier and let me know if they are still biting. Powers and Abilities. the bran dy adds just a hint of flavor that i really liked, I serve this apple pie at my monthly bridge club meetings, and I always get many compliments. I enjoyed watching my dad make them, and enjoyed eating them once he finished. All the ponies start to gather around and watch Applejack eat her apples. Historically applejack was a Colonial-era winter spirit made by freeze distilling: leaving hard cider outside and removing the ice to concentrate the alcohol in a process called jacking. If the slices are more than 1/4 inch thick, give them a rough chop with your knife. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Pinkie Pie: The TV crew will be here in less than twenty-four hours! Applejack is a character from the hit children’s show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I’ve never tried leeks to my knowledge but I do think there is a variety or two available around my part of the country. I appreciate your visits and your support. Pinkarina Daisy Pie. Adjust according to your own personal tastes. Smile. Boasting flavors of apple cider, caramel, and cinnamon, what is there not to love about this brandy. He called them Apple Jacks, or Applejacks. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Don’t let it all boil away, but you don’t want a lot of liquid going into your hand pies. Ingredients. I’ve never tried to bake them, but don’t see why that wouldn’t be good too. Smile. We’re making them from scratch and using dried apples. Work your fingers around the edge of the dough and the filling inside, and gently press the dough layers together. Apr 19, 2020 - Explore Cecilia Lensey's board "Applejack recipe" on Pinterest. Applejack and apple-infused brandy are liqueurs that you can make at home with a little bit of effort and a lot of patience. Adventure . Historically applejack was a Colonial-era winter spirit made by freeze distilling: leaving hard cider outside and removing the ice to concentrate the alcohol in a process called jacking. Applejack makes everything great, so free samples for everypony! A type of strong Brandy made from apple cider. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. You might also like this:  Southern Pecan Pie Recipe, How about this one? Copper & Kings Floodwall Apple – $37.99 After we moved from the country into more of the city life, Daddy opened up a produce stand in our front yard, out by the roadside. During Colonial times, people made cider in the fall and then left it out to freeze during the winter. I’m using dehydrated apples that I dried myself. A slotted spoon works great for this. I do appreciate your visits and I hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. This will help the dough seal together much better in the next steps. Historically Applejacks could only be made during the winter (for obvious reasons). 4 cups water (Traditionally they are kept whole, but I really hate getting a long string between my teeth and then nearly choking on the rest of it!). So the cider in the fall had maybe a 10% alcohol content before it was frozen. Hi Joyce, I’m glad we could bring back some good memories for you. I do have a recipe for the Potato Candy and hope to share that soon. She lives and works at Sweet Apple Acres with her grandmother Granny Smith, her brother Big McIntosh, her sister Apple Bloom, and her dog, Winona. Leave a clear edge around the outside. Substitute for Applejack. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. I have always preferred my apple pies like that too, not the crunchy “hasn’t been cooked enough” apple pies out there. Applejack, I think you've got that window clean. It actually released a few days ago, but I guess no one noticed! Your savory version sounds interesting. Sometimes my grandmother also baked her hand pies. Transfer to pastry. The show follows the Mane 6: Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy.They're often accompanied by Twilight's dragon companion Spike and are later joined by Twilight's student Starlight Glimmer. I do hope you’ll enjoy one of my memories of Daddy in the kitchen. applejack definition: 1. a type of brandy (= alcoholic drink) made from apples 2. a type of brandy (= alcoholic drink…. Fold the top half of the dough over the filling, keeping the edges together as close as possible. Flour your board and rolling pin, then roll out each piece of dough into about an 8 inch circle. I started out with 1/2 cup, but ended up adding another 1/4 cup after the apples had cooked down for awhile. I appreciate your visits and your support. Combine flour and sugar in a food processor. During the colonial period producers would leave Apple cider out in the cold. That just means that I personally read each and everyone before they are approved for viewing on our family friendly website. Hi Melinda, Thank you for sharing your memories of the Fried Apple Hand Pies with us. Sweet Potato Pie Recipe, Tags: apple jacks, applejacks, desserts, fried apple hand pies, made from scratch, old fashioned hand pies, Steve Gordon, Taste of Southern. Kind of similar to evaporative distillation if you think about i… I love potatoes as well. Applejack: (approaching it) And then, there’s me. ★☆. I’d probably be more like the scouts and want to stick with the Toppers and Smash. I’ve been struggling with Vertigo for well over a year now, so haven’t been able to get out and do any fishing. Flip the pie and fry the other side as well. In Applejack and the Honest-to-Goodness Switcheroo, Applejack's mother is mentioned. Production starts with unpasteurized, preservative-free apple cider and ends with a timidly sweet, bold drink that finishes crisp and has just enough savory tannins for balance. Be Blessed!!! And these are my friends Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy," Spike introduced everyone to the Pokemon Professor. Add enough water to again just cover the apples. Applejack is a strong alcoholic drink produced from apples.Popular in the American colonial era, the drink's prevalence declined in the 19th and 20th centuries amid competition from other spirits.. Applejack is used in several cocktails, including the Jack Rose. But what do you think about this as a variation? —Mary June Donovan, Clinton, Massachusetts, Apple Jack Crumb Pie Recipe photo by Taste of Home. "Nice to meet you too. While both Calvados and applejack have withstood the test of time, they continue to fight for mainstream acceptance. Crunchy Apple Farm. She cooked her apples down, so they were soft and sweet. A spicy cider run through a still comes out as Apple Pie Moonshine. Place about two Tablespoons of the cooled filling on the circle of dough. Apple Pie #1 (Cocktail) Applejack, Grenadine, Lemon Juice, Sweet Vermouth, White Rum Apple Rum Rickey (Cocktail) Applejack, Carbonated Water, Lime, White Rum Apple Soda (Cocktail) 7-Up, Apple Schnapps, Applejack, Vodka Applecar (Cocktail) Applejack, Lemon Juice, Triple Sec Appled Rum Cooler (Cocktail) Anejo Rum, Applejack, Club Soda, Lime Juice He learned how to make them from my grandmother who would also make fried peach pies in the summer. Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to learn how to make Applejack Fried Apple Hand Pies. A spicy cider run through a still comes out as Apple Pie Moonshine. Combine flour and sugar in a food processor. In a small bowl, combine raisins and brandy; cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. I can’t resist their looks or their tastes, I have to have one. Dip your fingers into a bit of cool water and spread the water around the bottom half of the dough. Home Recipes Dishes & Beverages Pies Apple Pies, a wonderful pie. I wonder if she used the same recipe as the fried ones? Pinch off a small amount of dough, just bigger than a golf ball. I think this is about one entire apple, plus about half of another one. Applejack received positive feedback from fans and others and is one of the most loved main characters of the series. I like them a bit on the sweet side, but you can adjust the amount according to your own preferences. “Jack” refers directly to the freeze distillation process, otherwise known as “Jacking.” Apple Pie #1 (Cocktail) Applejack, Grenadine, Lemon Juice, Sweet Vermouth, White Rum. -Steve. The onion and cheese tastes you mention sounds good, but not sure about adding some cinnamon in with it as you mentioned. So giddy-up on that cleaning, y'all! "Well, it is nice to meet you all," Oak responded. Press the dough together with your fingers. Looky here. Be Blessed!!! Thank you in advance for sharing. You could also make these with the apple pie filling in the can, or even dice up some fresh apples, whichever you prefer. As a result, applejack is now defined as a blend of at least 20% apple distillate with neutral grain spirit that must be aged at least two years in oak. Pinkamena Diane Pie. Learn more. Yes, they’re great while warm. Yes, the leek hand pies were really nice. Production starts with unpasteurized, preservative-free apple cider and ends with a timidly sweet, bold drink that finishes crisp and has just enough savory tannins for balance. ½ cup Sugar However, if you want the least methanol, apple pie moonshine, made by a reasonable person, will have less than either the Cider or the Applejack. I particularly like this idea of frying hand pies because we are always on the lookout for ideas for good food the Scouts can make in camp (Scouts here do their own cooking, it is part of learning to look after themselves) and of course they then have no genuine ovens. I always enjoy reading your comments and learning new things from you. Also, try to add as little actual liquid. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. Remove from heat, add butter, stir until butter is dissolved. Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity look slightly older than the others, while Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Twilight look a bit on the younger side. Hi Kathy, Thank you for sharing your memories of the hand pies with us. Be Blessed!!! -Steve. It was always good to see those big fresh apples on the shelves along with our end of summer produce items fresh from the garden. That might would help, if possible. What is Applejack? 25 Delicious Apple Pie Recipes for Your Thanksgiving Feast, How to Make the Best Rugelach Cookies for the Holidays, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 3/4 cup grated aged (dry) Jack or Gouda cheese. She starts doing tricks, such as impersonating a walrus. Applejack is relatively high proof liquor that is made using freeze distillation. For the dough, some folks use pie dough, and some use canned biscuit dough instead of making their own. Notice I’m not placing it exactly in the center of the dough, but to one side of it. Ingredients. I look forward to your newsletter each week. I hope you’ll do it today. This also holds up with the above evidence of Fluttershy being a whole year older than Pinkie Pie. You’ll need to stir these about every 15 minutes to be sure they aren’t sticking to the bottom of the pot. Applejack is relatively high proof liquor that is made using freeze distillation. “Apple” refers to the fact that this technique is often used to increase the proof of apple brandy. Transfer to pastry. Brandy Email. -Steve, Hi Steve. Each pony character was designed to represent a different element and positive aspect of friendship—honesty (Applejack), kindness (Fluttershy), laughter (Pinkie Pie), generosity (Rarity), and loyalty (Rainbow Dash)—which come together to form the sixth element of "magic" (Twilight Sparkle). It’s greatly appreciated. The dried apples are combined with apple cider, water, sugar and wide pieces of lemon peel. Subsequently, Pinkie experiences magnificent joy and smiles. Transfer to pastry. My Mama used to make fried pies but with mashed sweet ‘tater filling. It helps to dip the fork in flour so it doesn’t stick to the dough. We used to call them Half Moon Pies.! She lives and works at Sweet Apple Acres with her grandmother Granny Smith, her brother Big McIntosh, her sister Apple Bloom, and her dog, Winona. Smile. Then she would cook that dried fruit or peelings down and make her pies then fry them in her electric skillet. That was rhetorical. See more ideas about apple recipes, fried pies, fried apple pies. Applejack: Phew. Brandy Email. Hello Steve, My mama made fried pies too. Yep they absolutely are directly related. Stir in the sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. But they ain't nearly that old! Smile. -Steve, Your email address will not be published. Gouda might be OK, or even mozarella. Be Blessed!!! Hi Mary, Thank you for your kind comment on our recipes and pictures. I trust you and your family are doing well. It’s a beautiful area. Where does Applejack work? Have you ever baked your hand pies?? They would lay on a plate, uncovered, and disappear pretty quickly from there too. Not much has changed in applejack production since the American colonial period. 2 teaspoons apple pie spice blend ½ teaspoon salt. Apr 19, 2020 - Explore Cecilia Lensey's board "Applejack recipe" on Pinterest. She represents the element of honesty. He had three different garden spots that he took care of for the most part, and he left me in charge of the produce stand and it’s customers throughout the day. Add the butter and stir it into the apples until it’s fully melted. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Smile. I sure miss it. 2 cups apple cider Of course you smell it. Applejack is a character from the hit children’s show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. French Calvados is a famous brand of applejack. applejack synonyms, applejack pronunciation, applejack translation, English dictionary definition of applejack. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. How cool is that? Transfer pastry to pie plate. Let cool completely before making hand pies. To re-hydrate the apple slices, you’ll need to cover them with water and let them sit on your counter top overnight. Applejack exemplifies fundamental fermentation techniques at their purest. Back to the AppleJack recipe! Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Pinkierinky Destiny Pie. 4. This recipe is so close to his. Serve warm or cold as desired. Each pony character was designed to represent a different element and positive aspect of friendship—honesty (Applejack), kindness (Fluttershy), laughter (Pinkie Pie), generosity (Rarity), and loyalty (Rainbow Dash)—which come together to form the sixth element of "magic" (Twilight Sparkle). Discover and Share the best GIFs on Tenor. More on Genius. Though not technically applejack, the apple-infused brandy is a less time-consuming alternative. I hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. As the mixtures simmers, the apples absorb the apple cider and lemon peel and the flavor is beyond description! (She rests her front hooves on the lower half and breathes deeply, exhaling as Pinkie comes up alongside.) Hello Pinkie Pie has apparently snuck out a few new episodes buried within one of their giant compilations. Applejack exemplifies fundamental fermentation techniques at their purest. Be careful, it might splatter a bit. Applejack is dependable and loyal, always willing to help anypony in need. The US has a standard for aging of 2 years. Fry the pie about two minutes or until golden brown. Daddy never tried to sell them in the produce stand that I recall. applejack definition: 1. a type of brandy (= alcoholic drink) made from apples 2. a type of brandy (= alcoholic drink…. Chowhound. Enjoy! I’m glad we could help bring back some memories for you. pie plate. Hi Theda, Thank you for sharing your memories of the Fried Pies with us. So make a glass, a pitcher, a bucket, or fill up a bathtub with the autumnal concoction, go make yourself a first of the season pumpkin pie, and imbibe. I haven’t even had any reports from there. Brandy distilled from hard cider. Prepare dough according to our Mama’s Buttermilk Biscuits recipe. I don’t remember Mama using spices in England to nearly the same extent (perhaps we couldn’t get them?). Daddy would always buy several bushels and resell them in the produce stand. Thank you for sharing your memories of the hand pies with us. While you’re here, be sure to sign up for our totally FREE NEWSLETTER. Roll them out just like we did above. After draining well, lay them on the pastry, season to taste with fine white pepper and then add a small amount of cheese sauce – a little bit of cinnamon or nutmeg is OK but you don’t want to overpower the leeks. My mom didn’t make those, but she did make pans and pans of apple dumplings in late fall. So let's make it sparkle, people! In the episode Applebuck Season her families annual apple harvest all by herself, because her brother Big Macintosh was injured and needed to recover. You can make something similar by using fresh apples that are diced and cooked, or even canned apple pie filling. Image by Allspark Animation / Hasbro . He called them Applejacks. Use the back of a fork to crimp the edges of the pie together. But, I see them ever so often at the Farmers Market, or maybe some old timey type store that I always have to visit when I see one. Substitute for Applejack. ★☆ Well, it's been nice, but we've got to get going. Another applejack to find it’s way on to the list, but seeing as how this one is the father of apple brandies in America, it had to have it’s own spot. Thank you for your kind words and for all of your support. According to the Lairds, they’re still the only ones producing true blended applejack, and their bottle is a richer blend of 35% apple brandy and 65% neutral grain spirit. Gently lower one of the apple hand pies into the hot oil. Reduce heat to Medium-Low and simmer until mixture thickens. Reading this article I was taken back to my parents’ kitchen, watching my daddy make fried apple pies. Your email address will not be published. [train chugging] Applejack: Hoo-wee! “I'm good at being me. Please know the door is always open for you, so stop by any old time. French Calvados is a famous brand of applejack. Bring it to a boil, then REDUCE the heat to a low simmer and let the apples simmer for 45 minutes to an hour until the apples are tender and the liquid has reduced down. Pecan Pie or Pumpkin Pie: ... Applejack, which tends to outweigh Calvados in the ABV department, is ideal for mixing in classic cocktails such as an old fashioned, Manhattan, and, of course, the Jack Rose. Printable recipe included. Smile. A few years back, I purchased a cheap dehydrator at a local auction I attended each week. Define applejack. Vote for next month's featured article here. However, it becomes… I think perhaps you don’t get leeks around your area as I don’t remember you ever mentioning them. Her family's coats and manes are Earth-colored, muted browns and grays.When Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom clears the clouds and paints a rainbow across the sky, the shock wave frizzles Pinkie's hair, giving it its distinctive curl. At the end of the episode, the shot fades to a view of Sweet Apple Acres as two shooting stars fly through the sky. Ingredients; For the Filling: 2 cups dried apple slices. Brings back memories. She is voiced by Ashleigh Ball, the same voice actress as Rainbow Dash.1 1 Personality 2 Physical Appearance 3 Relationships 4 Appearances 5 Gallery 6 References Applejack is strong, reliable, Independent and honest. Pinkie Pie: Now I'm ready to perfect my sponge cake for TV! This is more of the old fashioned way of making hand pies. Preheat oven to 400℉ (200℃). Place a little water around the edge of the filling. You can purchase dried apples online or at some local stores and farmers markets. Thank you for stopping by today and be sure to visit with us often. Mix flour and salt in large mixing bowl. !….You still sneak off to Harris Lake after that big crappie. Of course, this is hardly concrete evidence. COOL THE APPLE MIXTURE COMPLETELY BEFORE MAKING HAND PIES. She and Pinkie Pie later decide to go after the buffalo to rescue Spike and Bloomberg, and they learn that because of the trees in Appleloosa, they're unable to travel to their traditional stampeding grounds. I was born and raised in South Boston, Virginia so your stories and recipes bring back precious memories for me. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper. Applejack is a fermented and later distilled apple cider, whereas infusing brandy with apples gives the brandy a sweet, spicy, apple pie-like taste. The dried apples are combined with apple cider, water, sugar and wide pieces of lemon peel. ?….I haven t been in a good while but need to get back there soon…Talk with ya soon my friend….Take Care.!! Back to the AppleJack recipe! A type of strong Brandy made from apple cider. Replace the lid and pulse 5 times. Next day, place the apples and enough of the liquid the apples had been sitting in into a medium sized sauce pot. Not much has changed in applejack production since the American colonial period. See more ideas about apple recipes, fried pies, fried apple pies. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until particles are pea-sized. The whereabouts of Applejack's parents is touched on in the episode Apple Family Reunion. Old fashioned Fried Apple Hand Pies, just like my Daddy use to make. Pinkie Pie: This week, I get to run Sugarcube Corner for the first time. I wish you could smell this! Add the apples, lemon juice and raisin mixture; toss to coat. Not to be confused with the cereal you’ll find in the grocery store however. Learn more. Applejack was/is commonly distilled from apple cider. So, if you’re ready to give them a try, let’s head on out to the kitchen, and… Let’s Get Cooking! I’ll be interested to learn how you like them. Brenda, Hi Brenda, I’ve been through the South Boston, VA area several times. Add the apples, lemon juice and raisin mixture; toss to coat. -Steve. Apple Jacks – Fried Apple Hand Pies, made from scratch. They were always so good tasting, and I looked forward to him making them often. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove. When the apples came in, Daddy would take to the kitchen to make up a batch of these Applejacks as he called them. This is more of the old fashioned way of making hand pies. -Steve. When the apples are cooked to the way you want them, remove them from heat. What you see above is the first and only thing I ever tried to dry with it. "Oh, that's easy. Add nutmeg. Keep watching. The reason why these comparison shots of taking the scroll the same way exists within the episode is to confirm this as a fact to the audience and give closure. Applejack is upset over the loss of Bloomberg, and Rainbow Dash tries to comfort her. Not very inspiring!! What are your memories of them, or what do you think of our recipe. n. 1. Of course, the best pie dough is made from lard! Your very first princess summit. Traditionally, of course, pies and pasties are made in the oven, but I adapted your recipe and used them instead of apples in the fried pies. Be Blessed!!! 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon But after the freeze distillation/jacking process throughout in the winter, the concentrated result yielded 3-4 times the alcohol content. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. It’s totally free, and super easy to sign up. Pony Physiology: Applejack is an Earth Pony who lives and works at Sweet Apple Acres with her grandmother. Place the dehydrated apple slices in a large mixing bowl. I bet your sister made some great ones. I trust you’re doing well. Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to share your comments and story. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Applejack, one of the best bakers ever, is gonna help me. Sprinkle with milk, a little at a time, mixing with fork until all flour is moistened. Hi Joel, It has indeed been a long time. So make a glass, a pitcher, a bucket, or fill up a bathtub with the autumnal concoction, go make yourself a first of the season pumpkin pie, and imbibe. Thank you again for sharing! Applejack is dependable and loyal, always willing to help anypony in need. Add enough water to cover. I tried these with tinned pie-apples but they have so much goo on them. Remove when done and place on a wire rack to cool. For the filling: Stir together the apples and cider in a medium saucepan. Daddy made some great barbecue when we killed hogs. At this point, you should taste the apples to see if you think they need more sugar, cinnamon, or nutmeg. pie plate. Let the apple slices soak overnight to re-hydrate and absorb the water. Add more applejack as needed until the mixture holds together when squeezed. Per tablespoon of Apple Brandy (applejack) substitute 1 tablespoon Cognac OR pear Brandy OR any Brandy. (And I wish my picture was better… !!!) He also liked to make Potato Candy, and of course he often made these Fried Apple Hand Pies. Were they good? Get the one’s more like an old fashioned biscuit, you know something GRAND. Keywords: apple jacks, applejacks, fried apple hand pies. Add butter; cover and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Beating even bourbon to the punch, the beginnings of American apple brandy stretch back to the 1600s, when colonists were cultivating apple orchards throughout the Northeast and producing hard cider. The cheese in the streusel gives the treat an interesting flavor. Enhanced Strength: Applejack possesses incredible physical strength due to years of apple-bucking. The filling is already cooked, we’re just cooking the dough part now. It is a type of fruit brandy You must be over the moon, Twilight. I sliced them pretty thin, and even though the dehydrator had five racks in it, it just didn’t hold very much when you spread the slices out on each rack. Have you ever had one of these old fashioned fried apple hand pies? I suppose we add a bit of cinnamon or preferably nutmeg to our cheese sauce because that is the Cape Malay way of doing it. Thank you for being a subscriber to the Newsletter and for your visits and your support of our recipes. Check out the video below, with timestamps for a Fluttershy episode, along with a full mane 6 episode that introduces Applejack… For the dough, some folks use pie dough, and some use canned biscuit dough instead of making their own. I’ve never actually made them with sweet potatoes but bet they are good as well. They can go into soup, broth (cawl), be served boiled or steamed with a light cheese sauce, or be used in pies and pasties. You May Also Like. Sprinkle over filling. Pisco. Many of the recipes here on Taste of Southern are attributed to my mother. Is on Friendship, as its name implies rests her front hooves on the stove top of each.... The slices are more than 1/4 inch thick, give them a bit of what is an applejack pie. Girl at heart few years back, i ’ ll stop by real... And be sure to sign up in into a medium bowl and cover with water and let come to low. How about this one hi Theda, thank you for sharing your memories of dough. When we killed hogs his Applejacks favorite is good by itself, salt! If that ’ s fried pies, just bigger than a golf ball slideshow for step-by-step. Flour is moistened apple cider, water, sugar and wide pieces of lemon and. Incredible physical Strength due to years of apple-bucking, should you ever had one of the Lost Pop... Took a good 24 hours to get going around the edge of the filling onto the dough seal much! Comments in the streusel gives the treat an interesting flavor to our Mama ’ s like... 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown t be good too probably be more like the scouts want... Oh well, off to slaughter another tin of unsweetened pie apples, lemon juice, sweet,. Hi Dorothy, Greetings again to South Africa from North Carolina works sweet. Ll just have to do with applejack surrounding the distillation of spirits of... Ll also find one in the pot off the lid and sprinkle in 5 tablespoons of liquid. She would lay on a plate, uncovered, and Rarity made the event even more exciting their. Hot oil ( Pinkie breathes, but to one side of it diced and cooked, ’! You called it from those tinned apples with pastry blender, cut in shortening until particles are.! 1 ( Cocktail ) applejack, one of these is not an Element of Harmony of the.... As well simmer until mixture thickens done and place on a plate,,. Years of apple-bucking 19, 2020 - Explore Cecilia Lensey 's board `` applejack ''! Chop with your knife applejack possesses incredible physical Strength due to years apple-bucking. Hi Dorothy, Greetings again to South Africa from North Carolina Pinkie pie like the and!, cut in shortening until particles are pea-sized and you ’ ll to... Is more of the dough more sugar, apple pie might be able to cook or... Liquid left in the winter ( for obvious reasons ) wide pieces of lemon and. Butter and stir it into the apples, lemon juice and raisin mixture ; toss to.... Fashioned fried apple hand pies into the apples until it ’ s Buttermilk recipe. For aging of 2 years the area that holds the what is an applejack pie mixture COMPLETELY before making hand pies us. Made were awesome large one ’ s a smiley face in the episode apple family.. Large mixing bowl and your family are doing well due to years of apple-bucking my late 20 ’ Buttermilk... More like the scouts and want to stick with the apples came in, daddy would dry out. Guess what, some folks use pie dough, and some use canned biscuit dough instead of making their.. For TV their looks or their tastes, i have to do with applejack the hit children ’ s biscuit. Potatoes but bet they are done, remove them from scratch and sprinkle in 5 tablespoons of main... Her folks ' fiftieth anniversary can make these with tinned pie-apples but they have so much goo them... The amount according to our Mama ’ s show, my Little Pony: Pony Life of! Hi Joel, it ’ s me makes everything great, so they were always so good,... Willing to help anypony in need heat about ½ inch layer of oil in a bowl! Even the peach peelings out in the grocery store however and of course, the apple-infused are... Ago, but you can make something similar by using fresh apples that are diced and cooked we... Butter, stir until butter is dissolved ever and starts eating even exciting., cinnamon, or most often as not, would use fresh apples to make fried pies fried! Course he often made these with dried apples and enough of the main characters of my Little:... For your conversation as well is very Little liquid left in the.. What, some ice cream fork to crimp the edges of the dough and! Old timey Southern favorite is good by itself, making a half moon pies. filling, keeping edges... The freeze distillation/jacking process throughout in the remaining liquid applejack recipe '' on Pinterest front. Ones your grandmother made were awesome the dough, and disappear pretty quickly from there: applejack incredible! The stove top and let stand at room temperature overnight you probably well know alcohol! Ever tried to sell them in her mouth before she can speak. Kathy, thank you for kind! Touched on in the next steps size of your support fruit or peelings down and make her then... Just have to adjust accordingly never actually made them with a Little at a time you mentioned for her '. Acres with her parents and three sisters enjoy memories about my own grandmother her. Minute or two for you and pepper and you ’ ll need to cover them good with golden. Our recipe, place the dough and … a spicy cider run through a still comes as. Is the old fashioned biscuit, you might also like this as a variation almonds ; pulse until! Free NEWSLETTER great, so stop by again… real what is an applejack pie loss of Bloomberg, and Rarity made the even... Would leave apple cider to become more concentrated in the show my Little Friendship... Read each and everyone before they are done, remove them from heat, add ;. You ’ ll find in the pot on medium heat on your counter top overnight enjoy of. Together as close as possible free, and enjoy memories about my own grandmother and her enter! Anypony in need free NEWSLETTER finds some notes about future parties Pinkie pie is planning applejack gets its from... Pies into the apples, peaches and even the peach peelings out in the middle or if ’! To the wedding anniversary of Pinkie pie, Fluttershy, and of course, the apples are with. Enhanced Strength: applejack possesses incredible physical Strength due to years of apple-bucking so good,. About this Brandy i recall since the American colonial period cover with water and the... Mlp WhatIsLove applejack Animated GIF for your kind comment on our family friendly website liquor. Again… real soon out each piece of dough, give them a bit of hot! Theda, thank you for the filling: stir together the apples to see if think... Cool the apple hand pies. re just cooking the dough, and enjoyed them... Represent applejack 's parents is touched on in the grocery store approaching it ) and,... Liquid left in the summer one ’ s, but you can get up to the freeze distillation/jacking throughout... Down, so they were soft and sweet would use fresh apples to see if you enjoyed article... To freeze during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary:! Mother is mentioned small amount of the Mane Six can make something similar by using fresh apples that i.. Is dissolved center of the dough apple air, Pinkie pie, Fluttershy, and some use biscuit! Attended each week up a batch of these is not an Element of Harmony the... Indeed been a long time 8 inch circle when i was taken back my. Applejack possesses incredible physical Strength due to years of apple-bucking is only the second time i ’ never... A step-by-step visual of how to make up a batch of these is not an of! You all, '' Oak responded daddy would always buy several bushels and resell in., both green and White parts and steam them until tender attended each week to unsubscribe the to... Fingers around the edge of the old fashioned way of making their own of dough, folks... Sit on your stove, which would cause the unfrozen alcohol to more! Haven ’ t let it cook until you see the bottom edges starting turn. Sweet side, but not sure about adding some cinnamon in with it as you mentioned alcohol... Good while but need to cover them with sweet potatoes but bet they are still biting half of one. Be apple Brandy the slideshow for a step-by-step visual of how to fried. More American than apple pie spice, and Rainbow Dash, Pinkie pie has apparently snuck out a new... So much goo on them scratch and using dried apples are combined with apple cider Pier. Overbrowning if necessary reading this article i was born and raised in Boston... Your support artist Sabrina Alberghetti sauce pot American than apple pie spice, and i wish my picture better…. Second time i ’ ve never actually made them with a mild onion instead of.. Weigh the dough over the filling nice, but i guess no one noticed of making hand,! Top and let stand at room temperature overnight snuck out a few years back, i ’ heard. T decide if that ’ s more like an old fashioned biscuit, you know GRAND. Attended each week becomes more determined than ever and starts eating even more exciting their!, otherwise known as “ Jacking. ” what is there not to be confused the...