Sans Rival is a decadent cashew meringue cake. , Hi! I hadn’t had it in ages– my younger sister doesn’t remember ever having it at all– but I looked up some recipes and decided to give it a go. Baking the Meringue Layer. Learn how your comment data is processed. Sans Rival is a Filipino dessert that is decidedly French in origin. Tips for beating egg whites: make sure the bowl and beaters are completely free from oil. It should look like a light and fluffy, pale yellow frosting. . It was so delicious, and fun to make. It should be creamy and buttery and fluffy.. Using a pencil and an 8-inch round cake board as a guide, draw four 20-cm circles on each paper-lined baking sheet. The Philippines is a delight for all foodies, so much food to discover and eat. I am making this as we speak and I have a ton of egg white mix left. The rich rum buttercream melts on your tongue. We want to bring the sugar syrup to just before the “soft ball” stage, which is at the end of the “thread” stage. I was very disappointed to see the lettering going topsy turvy inside the box. I was expecting it to become a bit fluffier, and was afraid I might have to start over, but once I added the butter it was alright. Transfer to a serving place and chill for 2 hours or more, then slice. A rubber spatula works well here, and is safe to use once the whites have been beaten stiff. 1 cup roasted and crushed unsalted cashews. As far as I can remember, this layer cake is usually reserved for special occasions like Christmas, Easter or a loved one’s birthday. How many cups of buttercream does the recipe yield? Stash it in the fridge to cool a bit. Place roasted cashews in a zip lock bag and crush finely with a rolling pin. How to cook Sans Rival Recipe. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Then remove baking paper and meringue discs from the baking sheets/trays. We even paid additional charge for the lettering. Nobody can resist this sweet delights and they are always welcome as a pasalubong (small gift). I tend to not like my desserts terribly sweet, and this is right on the edge for me! If chilled longer, beat again until easily spreadable before assembling cake. I do hope you end up loving it as much as we all do. Learn how to make the recipe with these tips: READ THESE: MORE ARTICLES ABOUT SANS RIVAL CAKES; LIST: Where You Can Order Pistachio Sans Rival Cake In And Around Metro Manila Use 2 or 4 baking sheets/trays depending on their size. While your sugar mixture is coming to temperature whisk egg yolks on high speed until they thick, creamy and a paler yellow. Continue mixing the sugar egg mixure on medium speed. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Grease and heavily flour the round surfaces. Line baking trays with baking paper. A well-liked Filipino dessert, like Cassava cake and Puto Flan, this cake has French origins (Sans rival meaning “without rival”).The recipe has its roots from France’s Dacquoise. Place sugar and water in a small saucepan. The smudges of meringue will secure the baking paper while spreading out your meringue discs. Carefully spread the mixture to form discs as per the ones drawn on your baking paper. Use a smudge of meringue in a couple of places on your baking tray. Last weekend was my birthday, so I made myself a cake. As you can see, my cake icing skills are seriously lacking. This is a place to find and share inspiration. Carefully spread the mixture to form discs as per the ones drawn on your baking paper. Here we make food and gifts. Mine is creamy and heavy – not light and fluffy at all. How sweet would you say this recipe is? I left mine overnight and they were perfectly dry. Top with additional 1 cup finely chopped cashews all over top and sides of cake. You will also learn trick on how to frost a perfectly straight and even sized cake. If you do, then lucky you as this cake keeps exceptionally well in the fridge. 08 Apr. Bettys Sansrival was established since 1958 Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Hey there, friends!⁠ Just cut off one of the bottom corners to pipe through. I hope this helps. The Sans Rival cake is a luscious, nutty, and unrivaled cake made of layers of cashews-loaded meringue covered in a rich buttercream. Bring sugar mixture to the boil and continue boiling until the mixture reaches 110°C (230°F). Then remove baking paper and meringue discs from the baking sheets/trays. This is one of the tastiest cakes I have ever eaten. The buttercream will absorb the smells and flavors in your fridge. The Sans Rival cake is a luscious, nutty, and unrivaled cake made of layers of cashews-loaded meringue covered in a rich buttercream. Make sure to whisk well after each addition. That being said, I do enjoy it quite a bit as long as I don’t eat a huge piece! If you do this for each cube of butter, it should be fluffy by the end. Slice into 12 portions or more. History of the Sans Rival. Remove discs from paper and place on wire racks to cool completely. The turones de casoy are delicious. Turn the sheets of paper over. Eat cake first.” Ernestine Ulmer. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Let it boil. Sans Rival is a Filipino dessert made of sandwiched French Buttercream in multiple layers of meringue infused with chopped cashews. It is a big, magnificent Sans Rival, which Taimi bakes … Have the stand mixer running at high speed, still with the whisk attachment, slowly pour the sugar mixture in a slow steady thin stream into the eggs. Home » Recipes » Sans Rival is one of the most delicious cakes I have eaten! Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Cashew Sans Rival. It is also perfect for entertaining as it can be made a day in advance. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Sans Rival Cakes & Pastries - San Jose. You will learn to bake a cake with crunchy nuts sandwiched in between nutty chewy meringue layers and frosted with creamy buttercream. I’m having a little trouble getting the icing fluffy. Hi Carol! The cashews are in and I’m currently 40 mins away from finishing the baking the process. This is one of the tastiest cakes I have ever eaten. 1  cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes Continue whipping until mixture reaches the stiff peak stage. Sans Rival Duo (Pistachio and Cashew) Join us as we create a luxurious cake with toasted pistachio and cashew nuts! Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries, Dumaguete City: 843 Bewertungen - bei Tripadvisor auf Platz 1 von 177 von 177 Dumaguete City Restaurants; mit 4,5/5 von Reisenden bewertet. Make sure the side you have drawn your circles on is facing down on the tray. Slowly beat in 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until stiff and glossy, and add 1 tsp. Continue whisking the egg whites on medium-high speed, adding heaped spoons of sugar one at a time. Place a meringue disc on your serving plate/cake stand. Hey Amber. Spread with a thin layer of frosting. I think the buttercream would sit fine in the fridge for a day as well, and then you’d only have to assemble it the day of. An extremely rich and heavenly dessert that's not an ordinary cake. This buttercream should pipe just fine. medianet_crid = "332250271"; I imagine its supposed to increase in volume as well? Buttery, chewy, crunchy, sweet and salty. Repeat with remaining dacquoise layers, then frost the top and sides of the cake. Favorite Quotes. If you don’t have a pastry bag & tip, you can use a ziplock bag. However, avoid using one before that, since it’s nearly impossible to clean all traces of grease out of them– something to do with the molecular structure of the plastic & oil being easily bonded or something. This was my mom’s favorite cake in the Philippines. I have happily snacked on a piece a week after it was made. Once the mixture is smooth and creamy beat in the rum and salt. Hi Amber I used your recipe to make my very first sansrival cake and it turned out (as my husband said, “perfect!”. ⁠ As such, it is important to use high quality cashews … Products Order Now. Stop stirring and if using a thermometer that attaches to your saucepan, attach it now. … Preparation time: 25 minutes. Bring sugar mixture to the boil and continue boiling until the mixture reaches 110°C (230°F). Place the prepared baking paper on top. Andrea, thanks so much for updating about this! Layers of daquoise (a meringue made with nuts) are sandwiched together with French buttercream. Sans Rival is also known as Butter Cashew Layered Meringue Cake. But you're welcome to reduce it to half or 3/4. Sans Rival will be crispiest if served right away. The ball will flatten out after a few moments in your hand. I also suggest cutting the pieces fairly small– as you might have guessed, this is a very rich dessert! Squash & Green Beans in Coconut Milk {Filipino Food Month}, Creating a Family Command Center to Organize Your Life, Terms of Use, Disclosure, and Privacy Policy. . I’m a little unclear as to what point in the process you’re in. It should look like the picture. « My Delicious Corned Beef Recipe, a family fave! The meringue was a lot less fluffy than it’s supposed to be so I beat it a little bit more and it worked just as well as making a new batch. Hi Amber! For storage of leftover cake. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know! As you’re adding the butter, you want to beat each addition in until it’s completely incorporated. SANS RIVAL SANS RIVAL Recipe with Sansrival Syrup and Sansrival Icing Recipe: Meringue (Makes 160 grams):FEATURED STORIES Best Toys on Amazon for Black Friday Black Friday Deals on Amazon Best CBD Oil Guide CBD Holiday Gift Guide Ground Cashew – ¾ cup Chopped Cashew – ½ cup All-purpose Flour, unsifted — ¼ cup Egg whites […] Sans Rival is a decadent cashew meringue cake. Sans rival means unrivaled. Sans Rival is a decadent cashew meringue cake. a collection of things i make with my hands. Cashew Sans Rival is a Filipino dessert cake made of layers of meringue, buttercream, and cashew nuts. 6 egg yolks, room temperature ⁠ 6 egg whites Egg whites will also whip better at room temperature, but if you have a high-powered mixer, you probably won’t have trouble with cold ones. The cake was still delicious though. Usually served during special occasions. Thank you. This cake can be covered with chopped toasted cashews or pistachios if you like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchea5BHbgs. medianet_height = "90"; Cover it well in plastic wrap and then place in an airtight container. Jump to recipe “Life is uncertain. Sans Rival are layered meringue wafers, with butter cream frosting and cashew nuts. Wipe knife clean after every cut. 1 cup sugar Most people only get to see the front of the shop but I was lucky to be invited for a tour behind the scenes. Stir with a spoon over low heat until all the sugar has dissolved. The Filipinos use roasted cashew nuts unlike Goans who prefer to use them without roasting. Macadamia Sans Rival is a Filipino dessert cake made of layers of meringue, buttercream, and macadamia nuts. HI Bev, it is a delicious cake, it has to be one of my favourites now since I visited The Philippines. Gradually whip in caster sugar. Place another meringue disc on top of the one spread with rum buttercream. Did not realize it takes an hour and a half to make the base as I was so excited to make it lol and it’s midnight here and I’m making it. Use 2 or 4 baking sheets/trays depending on their size. Continue to do this with all 4 meringue discs. Do not scale this recipe, make as per directions and quantity. I made it for my husband’s birthday last weekend and he loved it . The original recipe had almonds, but due to costs and non-availability of almonds, cashew nuts were the perfect substitute. We even paid additional charge for the lettering. I love food and travel, they are my passions! If any fat (from the yolks or residue on the bowl/beaters) gets into the whites, they won’t whip. Start with one layer of meringue, and add enough frosting to cover it, but don’t use too much or you won’t have enough for all of it. It is truly without comparison. 1 tsp vanilla extract Add the butter a few cubes at a time, beating well until they’re all incorporated. We can no longer see the greeting because of the mess inside. Slowly beat in 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until stiff and glossy, and add 1 tsp. Have you mixed all the ingredients for the meringue layers already? seems to start in France (no surprises there). Fold the nuts in gently until just incorporated. Sans Rival is one of the most delicious cakes I have eaten! Sans Rival Cake is a heavenly Filipino Dessert Sans Rival Recipe is a delectable Butter-Cashew Layered Cake. If you live in a humid climate, you’ll always be fighting to keep the meringue from getting chewy. Using whisk the attachment, whisk egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. I had just enough frosting to do all the layers and cover the outside. Opening times of Sans Rival. When they say butter makes things better, I never rival the thought. Fold the nuts in gently until just incorporated. It even has a royal connection: “At least once a year, the king gets a homebaked cake. Layers of light and chewy toasty cashew meringue filled with rich and creamy rum buttercream. A small sweet shop in Santa Rita. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl of stand mixer (use the large one if you have two bowls). Once cooked remove from oven and leave the baking sheets/trays to cool on wire racks for 5 minutes. It’s chewy, crunchy, sweet and salty all in one marvelous bite. It has crisp layers of dacquoise {traditionally cashew} sandwiched with French buttercream. So glad to hear that you enjoyed it too. Php. vanilla. Hi amber – great recipe! Once the egg mixture has cooled remove the whisk attachment and replace with the paddle beater. Keep in mind that the cake needs to be placed in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. We throw parties. Hi Joannah! Sans Rival is a famous Filipino dessert cake made of layers of cashew meringue, with creamy buttercream and toasted cashews. It is when you head to the back where the rustic kitchen is, that you realise why. It’s delicious, but since it’s Filipino Food Month over here, I decided to make something different: Sans Rival. Make sure eggs are separated cleanly, as in no yolks broken in the process. vanilla. Bolo in Portuguese is "cake" and Sans Rival comes from the French phrase meaning "without rival". It’s definitely worth staying awake to make, even my mom requested some that’s why I ask if I can freeze the remainder of the whites. 1/3 cup water Bake meringue discs in the oven for 35 minutes or until they are crisp on top and lightly golden. My recipe is pretty crisp. Place egg yolks in the bowl of your stand mixer (use the small bowl if you have a choice). Fit the whisk attachment to you mixer. Cut into slices with a serrated knife. Ingredients: For Meringue wafer. Posted on April 8, 2014 January 30, 2020 by The Maya Kitchen. THIS IS IMPORTANT: Do not add any butter until the egg/sugar mixture has cooled to room temperature! Living that creative life. When not travelling I love to share easy dishes discovered or inspired by my adventures. Continue to do this with all 4 meringue discs. All your favorite nuts - macadamia, pistachio, cashew all freshly roasted each time - come together in this buttery sensation. Make sure the discs are smooth and level as these are the bones of your sans rival. cream of tartar over it and beat until stiff, but not dry. Sans Rival Cake and Silvanas Flavours:Classic, Ube, Mango, Pistachio, Chocolate, Strawberry, Matcha Ube DONUTS Custom cakes and Cupcakes-Rosette Cake-Black Forest Cake-Unicorn Cake-Geode/Amethyst Cake-Minion Cake-Strawberry Cheesecake-Mango Cheesecake-Creme Brulee Cheesecake-Ube Cheesecake -Red Velvet Cheesecake IG@SANSRIVALTO. Be aware of the space you have in the fridge. It’s worth making and sharing with your family and friends! It is garnished with macadamia nuts. vanilla 1/2 cup cashew nuts, roughly chopped for toppings. Have the stand mixer running at high speed, still with the whisk attachment, slowly pour the sugar mixture in a slow steady thin stream into the eggs. Egg Yolks: ② Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Mine ended up a little stringy, I think because the sugar got cooked longer than it should have. Sans Rival or in French meaning " No rival or unrivalled" Four layers of crunchy cashew meringue dough filled and iced with sweet butter icing and roasted cashew nuts. Best served frozen or chilled. cream of tartar over it and beat until stiff, but not dry. 1650. Bake for 1.5 hours, rotating sheets halfway through. In fact, this cake tastes better after it has had a little fridge time. And if you have a toddler. Trace 6 6-inch circles on the parchment in pencil, then flip parchment over and grease very lightly. Thank you for sharing this recipe. medianet_width = "728"; The Filipinos use roasted cashew nuts unlike Goans who prefer to use them without roasting. Add rum. You will also learn trick on how to frost a perfectly straight and even sized cake. https://www.byambershands.com/2013/03/22/sans-rival-filipino-food-month 1/2 tsp. Amber, Hi Amber! For buttercream frosting. The mixture a litlte more fluid when it’s between your fingers. Also, does it hold up well in warm environments? It was like stepping back in time and with all hands on deck. Same heirloom recipe, 70% more nuts. I hope it worked out for you alright. Thanks for the recipe! It is truly without comparison. Not happening to mine. sans rival glorietta, sans rival dumaguete price list 2019, sansrival price, sansrival cakes and pastries glorietta, sans rival cakes and pastries glorietta, Back icon It is an icon with title Back To assemble the sans rival, place a meringue disc on your serving plate/cake stand. That’s a hard feat for a cake to live up to — but if one cake can do it, then maybe it is this one. 1 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted cashew nuts and some for toppings. Some food for thought below, but if you make only one other thing besides the Sans Rival, try the Filipino Empanadas! I was very disappointed to see the lettering going topsy turvy inside the box. I’ve never tried freezing the mixture. ⁠ It’s just that the proportion is just enough to pipe and decorate 20 cupcakes. 1/2 cup granulated white sugar. If you live in, Winter is coming.⁠ Sans rival is a layered cake alternating between cashew meringue and French buttercream. Required fields are marked *. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you might know that every year, I make this Marble Cheesecake. For the Buttercream: 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter softened 3 cups confectioner's sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 tbsp milk 1 1/2 cups cashews toasted and roughly chopped Best served frozen or chilled. Remove bowl from stand mixer. Invert 4 (8-inch) or 3 (9-inch) round baking pans. Firstly, you will be lucky if there are leftovers. Its name means "unrivalled" in French. The owner Ramon Ocampo and his family are known for two local delicacies sans rival and turones de casoy. Yes, we need this much because this Sans Rival Cupcake Recipe needs more icing than the usual Sans Rival Cake.) PROCEDURE. If you didn’t let your egg yolk/sugar mixture cool down enough, though, and your butter melted when you added it, it won’t come together. It even has a royal connection: “At least once a year, the king gets a homebaked cake. Sans Rival Cake is a traditional Filipino dessert. In the bowl of a high-powered mixer, beat 6 egg whites until foamy (save the yolks for later), then sprinkle 1/2 tsp. INGREDIENTS: For Meringue: 8 egg whites 1 cup caster sugar 3/4 tsp cream of tartar 1 ½ cups of toasted cashews (chopped) For Buttercream: 320g butter (softened) 3-4 cups icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 Tbsp milk. We want the mixture to be just beofre this. There is a production line of baking happening. Sans rival consists of three separate layers of cashew nut meringue sandwiched together with French buttercream, which can be enriched with whole cashew nuts, depending on the recipe. Make, pop in the fridge and forget about it until your guests arrive. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl of stand mixer (use the large one if you have two bowls). Bake for 1.5 hours, rotating the pans halfway through, then turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven without opening it. You can make the meringue layers a day ahead to break up the time it takes. As with any buttercream, it is susceptible to warm temperatures. I’m sure there are others who will like to know it worked for you! All our cakes are made to order. Place another meringue disc on top of the one spread with rum buttercream. It’s a Filipino dessert made of sandwiched French Buttercream in multiple layers of meringue infused with chopped cashews. Layers of light and chewy toasty cashew meringue filled with rich and creamy rum buttercream. There is a way you can test the syrup to see if it has come to temperature. 950. Using a food-safe marker trace 18cm (7 inches) circles on the baking paper. Bring sugar mixture to the boil and continue boiling until the mixture reaches 110°C (230°F). Our nuttiest sans rival ever. You didnt mention if yours is either of both but you might have the idea how to make one crunchy. Space the circles 5cm (1.5 inches) apart. Stop stirring and if using a thermometer that attaches to your saucepan, attach it now. I didn’t measure exactly how much it makes, but I think it’s in the 2 to 2 1/2 cup range. As you beat the sugar into the yolks, it will first get very hot, and then start to cool as you beat it more. The original recipe calls for a dacquoise, a meringue made with nuts that when cooked long and slow yields a crispy wafer. Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. But, the dish that gave us a sweet kick was San Rival, a Filipino Cashew Meringue Layer Cake. Once all sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and glossy whisk in the vanilla. Immediately when the temperature reaches that stage, start the mixer and pour the hot sugar in a steady stream into the egg yolks, beating until it’s completely incorporated. Hi Franchesca! Your email address will not be published. This recipe has its roots in the dacquoise. Thank you!! INGREDIENTS. The entire house smelt like roasted nuts, toasted sugar, and butter. dark rum. Make sure the discs are smooth and level. If your oven doesn’t seal well, you may need to crisp them up more in the morning by turning your oven to 200F until preheated and then turning it off and leaving them in for another hour or so. In the bowl of a high-powered mixer, beat 6 egg whites until foamy (save the yolks for later), then sprinkle 1/2 tsp. I used a 6″ cake pan to trace circles on the parchment with a pencil. We play. All oven temperatures are for a conventional oven, if using fan-forced lower the temperature by 20 Deg C (70 Deg F). Use 1 cup of chopped cashews to cover the top and sides. Using whisk the attachment, whisk egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you agree to the use of cookies. Add a cube of butter and mix well until completely incorporated into the mixture. May 26, 2020 By Sara McCleary Updated November 29, 2020 - This post may contain affiliate links, please read our discolsure policy. Invert three 9-inch round cake pans and grease and flour the bottoms. The meringue is toasty and chewy. This video shows you somebody testing to soft ball stage. So you might prefer keeping it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Place sugar and water in a small saucepan. Sans Rival is also known as 'Butter Cashew Layered Meringue Cake' is a popular dessert in the Philippines. Sans Rival or in French meaning " No rival or unrivalled" Four layers of crunchy cashew meringue dough filled and iced with sweet butter icing and roasted cashew nuts. Use a clean, sharp knife to slice portions. Flip the parchment over before putting the meringue on it so you don’t end up with pencil in your cake. Sans Rival is a Filipino dessert cake made of cashew meringue layers and French buttercream. Usually served during special occasions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchea5BHbgs. It was brought over by Filipinos who studied in France during the 1920’s and 1930’s. If you're thinking that, More Christmas Cookies!⁠ 7-Inch. You’ll need 2 sticks of butter at room temperature, cut into 1″ cubes. I used 2 cookie sheets with 3 circles on each. The top meringue disc will also be topped with buttercream. This will take roughly 10 – 12 minutes. The cake was still delicious though. It’s fairly sweet. 6. To roast cashews, heat oven to 300 F/150 C and roast nuts on a baking sheet for 15 minutes. Tag me on Instagram or Twitter. Storing Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Thank you❤️. cream of tartar 1 cup sugar 1 1/2 cashew nuts, finely chopped 1 tsp. Remove discs from paper and place on wire racks to cool completely. Sans Rival Bistro opens from 10:00 am-11:00pm-every Sunday to Thursday, and 10:00am-12:00 midnight every Friday and Saturday. Continue to do this with the rest of the butter, one cube at a time. Translates to, “without rival.” Aptly so, as this is hands down a crowd favorite. Spread one quarter of the rum buttercream on top of your meringue disc. 6 egg yolks. Hi Andrea! Since I had never made this before, I consulted a lot of recipes but followed this one by To Food With Love most closely. Sorry, I know it’s a little bit of a slow cake to make! It is garnished with cashew nuts. Repeat, alternating meringue and buttercream until you use all the meringue disks. Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries has branches at 3/F Food Choices, Glorietta 4, Ayala Center, Makati City and 5/F Shangri-La Plaza, Ortigas, Mandaluyong City. Whip egg whites and cream of tartar using the Breville Bakery Boss™ until soft peak stage. I watched four ladies speedily wrapping them around what resembled a kitchen table. Layer, alternating meringues and buttercream, then spread buttercream over top and sides of the cake. Calories per serving of Sans Rival cake 171 calories of Butter, unsalted, (0.21 stick) 96 calories of Cashew Nuts, dry roasted (salt added), (16.67 grams) 61 calories of Granulated Sugar, (0.08 cup) 61 calories of Granulated Sugar, (0.08 cup) 30 calories of Egg, fresh, whole, raw, (0.42 large) 14 calories of Egg white, fresh, (0.83 large) No nutrition or calorie comments found. Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries, Dumaguete City: See 845 unbiased reviews of Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #1 of 174 restaurants in Dumaguete City. Clip a candy thermometer to the side, and heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture reaches 235˚- 240˚ F. I accidentally let mine get a few degrees above that, and while it ended up alright, it wasn’t ideal. Sans Rival Cake Recipe. I used a nut chopper set to “fine” for mine. Using a palette knife carefully run this between the meringue discs and baking paper. A popular and classic dessert from The Philippines. Sans Rival Cake. Storing in the freezer might help, but the buttercream will get very firm in the freezer. Sans Rival is a very popular and expensive dessert cake in the Philippines. 9-Inch. ⁠ You will learn to bake a cake with crunchy nuts sandwiched in between nutty chewy meringue layers and frosted with creamy buttercream. Can I put the rest in the freezer covered with wrap and be able to make more tomorrow? You will learn to bake a cake with crunchy nuts sandwiched in between nutty chewy meringue layers and frosted with creamy buttercream. While French daquoise is traditionally made with almonds, this is made with cashews. I’m going to try your french butter cream recipe today. A popular and classic dessert from The Philippines. Once assembled, the cake is coated with the remaining buttercream and sprinkled with chopped cashews. The final product also freezes very well. Php. I used a pastry bag fitted with the biggest round tip known to man, and then used an offset spatula to make the tops a bit more even. They are a nougat style sweet made with honey and cashews wrapped in rice paper. In a saucepan, place 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water. Continue to do this with the rest of the butter, one cube at a time. It’s a popular dessert in the Philippines. The cake may be decorated, left plain or garnished with pistachios. This recipe is a bit putzy, but isn’t terribly difficult. It has a flaky, nutty … Their other pastries, cakes… Sans Rival Butter Cream Filling: 6 egg yolks 1 cup sugar 1/4 cup water 1 cup butter 1 1/2 tsp. The keto version, […] Hi Sara, this is such an unusual cake that I had to try to make it on the weekend. Drawn on your baking paper wrapping them around what resembled a kitchen table beating egg whites and cream tartar..., pop in the oven for 35 minutes or until they ’ re still having.. And shared my recipe with you small saucepan the bottoms on medium speed until peaks. High quality cashews … how to make are equally yummy 1/3 cup water unclear... With additional 1 cup almond flour to a serving place and chill for 2 hours before slicing serving... Freshly roasted each time - come together in this buttery sensation thought below, but the buttercream will get firm!, swirling occasionally, until it reaches 235˚-240˚F each cube of butter, one cube at a time quite! Important to use this site we will assume that you enjoyed it too time let... Form discs as per the ones drawn on your serving plate/cake stand best results, use serrated... The dish that gave us a sweet kick was San Rival, place 1 cup 1. Sugar, and butter cutting the pieces fairly small– as you might that... For me the king gets a homebaked cake, thanks so much for updating about this,! Lucky you as this is a very rich dessert meringue layers a day in advance me! Blog, you can use a serrated knife and push down straight the... Of doing so, I never Rival the thought fridge as long as possible before serving and... Flip parchment over and grease and flour the bottoms, 2020 by the Maya.. Chilled longer, beat again until easily spreadable before assembling cake dacquoise layers then! Filipinos use roasted cashew nuts were the perfect substitute in between nutty chewy meringue and... Have two bowls ) each addition in until it ’ s a little stringy, I because! Bolo in Portuguese is `` cake '' and sans Rival is noted their. As to what point in the Philippines soups are quite good also going to try your French butter cream today. You use all the layers mixer ( use the large one if have... A serving place and chill for 2 hours your fingers buttercream will get very firm the. Beating egg whites ( room temp ) 1 cup butter 1 1/2 cups roasted unsalted cashews, chewy rich. To form discs as per directions and quantity the paddle beater how would I know it for... Use roasted cashew nuts and allow to cool completely you have two bowls ) run Lansang!, rotating sheets halfway through can see Harley was a big fan the... Like stepping back in time and with all 4 meringue discs from paper and place in airtight. Press them gently against the sides to get them to adhere well conventional oven, if using a,. Pretty fragile cake, so be careful if using a palette knife carefully run this between the meringue on so! Use a serrated knife and push down straight through the layers are assembled, is. Cashews ( chopped ) INSTRUCTIONS: 1. ) with cashews and place wire. Over medium heat, swirling occasionally, until it ’ s a Filipino dessert cake made layers... A perfectly straight and even sized cake long as I don ’ t have a choice ) he... Enjoyed sans rival cake too the edge for me over low heat until all meringue... More tomorrow delicious treat could come out of such an antiquated kitchen in the Philippines it the day before.... The paddle beater are for a conventional oven, if using a spatula fold in cashews... Continue mixing the sugar egg mixure on medium speed the recipe yield my favourites now since I visited Philippines... 2020 by the Maya kitchen with 3 circles on the baking the process you ’ re in be made day... Mary Grace Café ( P190/slice ) PHOTO by clara Rosales of both but you 're welcome to reduce to! Foodies, so much for updating about this treat could come out of the shop but I very... Have you mixed all the sugar mixture is thick and glossy whisk in the process you ’ ll need press... Local Delicacies sans Rival butter cream Filling: 6 egg whites 1 tsp m 40... You should be able to make the meringue layers and frosted with buttercream. Keeping it in the fridge and forget about it until your guests arrive know every... Cake is a delicious cake, it has crisp layers of meringue infused chopped. Ramon Ocampo and his family are known for two local Delicacies sans Rival is perfect. This cake tastes better after it has had a little trouble getting the icing fluffy but the! Things I make with my hands my birthday, so be careful start in France during the 1920 s. Wafers, with the remaining buttercream and cashew nuts and some for toppings know if the mixture they! Tour behind the scenes four ladies speedily wrapping them around what resembled kitchen. Of butter at room temperature, cut into 1″ cubes serrated knife and push down straight through the layers French. Or 3 ( 9-inch ) round baking pans keeping it in the fridge and forget about it until guests! And his family are known for two local Delicacies sans Rival is a delight for all,. Nuts - macadamia, pistachio, cashew nuts meringue will secure the baking paper set “... A kitchen table pistachios onto the circles 5cm ( 1.5 inches ) circles on the bowl/beaters ) gets the. Meringue, with the paddle beater visit to the back where the kitchen... Glossy whisk in the Philippines should still be able to see if it has crisp layers meringue. Both but you might have guessed, this is hands down a crowd favorite luxurious cake with crunchy sandwiched! Very disappointed to see if it has come to temperature whisk egg whites: sure! Is right on the edge for me so glad to hear that you enjoyed it too crushed cashews butter. Why I have eaten fridge for at least 2 hours, rotating sheets halfway through completely free from oil how. Will secure the baking the process very much a sensory one, [ … ] of! Entire thing, and fun to make it for you does it hold up well in plastic wrap and it! Pistachios onto the circles evenly, spreading the top with an offset spatula bones of your discs... Made a day ahead to break up the time it takes, how I! 300°F ) or 130°C ( 270°F ) remaining dacquoise layers, then buttercream., pistachio, cashew all freshly roasted each time - come together in this buttery sensation one of favorite! Tip, you want for more I ask where can I put rest. Our website, Bale Dutung Pampanga classic – crispy, chewy, rich and rum... Introduction was very disappointed to see the greeting because of the bottom corners to pipe through room )... 1/2 cup cashew nuts unlike Goans who prefer to use once the whites... Cake '' and sans Rival is a popular and classic dessert from the baking sheets/trays on. A way you can use a ziplock bag can no longer see the going. Cool a bit until combined use 1 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted cashew nuts toasted! Alternating meringue and chopped cashews to cover the top meringue disc } sandwiched with French buttercream if the mixture the... Transfer to a serving place and chill for 2 hours, or overnight for my husband s... Whites, they won ’ t terribly difficult collection of things I make this Marble.. C ( 70 Deg F ) studied in France ( no surprises there ) stash it in the.. With your family and friends humid climate, you can make the buttercream will get very firm in the as. For mine, chewy, meringue and French buttercream and sprinkled with chopped cashews don ’ t end with. Delicious Corned Beef recipe, a family fave in and I have eaten for... And unrivaled cake made of layers of light and fluffy at all the mixture! Cleanly, as in no yolks broken in the process you ’ re pale and thick ( several.! Over it and at what setting freshly roasted each time - come together in this buttery sensation a nut set! Into 1″ cubes Filipino cashew meringue and constantly being put into and pulled out of the spread. Bake a cake plate, protected with waxed paper rice paper fan of the most delicious I... Studied in France ( no surprises there ) delicious Corned Beef recipe, meringue. Test the syrup into a small bowl if you love travelling or just dream of doing so, I the. A thermometer it is also perfect for entertaining as it can be covered with wrap be. As the cookie version of sans Rival is one of the tastiest cakes I have!. Time tasting sans Rival and turones de casoy discovered or inspired by adventures... Freezer might help, but due to costs and non-availability of almonds, this one..., they won ’ t have a thermometer that attaches to your,! Cooked long and slow yields a crispy wafer made myself a cake with toasted pistachio and cashew nuts from stove. Recipe with you put into and pulled out of the most delicious cakes I have eaten have a )! A 6″ cake pan to trace circles on is facing down on the baking paper and slow yields a wafer. To not like my desserts terribly sweet, and then it is when you head to the boil continue! Covered in a rich buttercream is susceptible to warm temperatures loved it and flavors in your.. Place 1 cup sugar 1 tsp a pencil one crunchy run this between the from...