Steaming bread in the home oven can be an option when you want to bake multiple loaves or your Dutch oven is to small for the amount of dough you want to bake. When the oven is preheated, place the finished dough in the hot pan on the top rack. 6. Overall baking time will be a little longer when baking from a cold start. Spray water liberally onto the loaves once you have placed them in the oven. As the ice cubes melt, their water will then evaporate into steam. Using a combination of steam addition methods is best. Optional: Place the baking sheet in the hot oven and immediately toss 3-4 ice cubes on the bottom of the oven (this gives a delicious, classic, French bread crispness to the crust). Close the oven door quickly. When you put the bread into the oven, toss 3-4 ice cubes in the bottom of the oven and close the door quickly. First, preheat your oven and the pan used for baking the bread. One of the best parts of French bread is the crispy crust on the outside and the soft, fluffy insides. Add ice cubes to the baking stone next to your loaf and cover with a large pot. 5. For a beginner is better to start baking sourdough bread in a Dutch oven which is also my favorite method. A trick to help you achieve this bakery-style loaf happens to be right in your freezer. There is no question about it. This will create steam (just like a dutch oven). The trick is to also put a metal pan filled with ice cubes on the bottom rack during the bake. DO THIS FAST as you want to trap the steam in the oven! 4. Ice cubes should, in principle, only make steam. Just by the bye, I'm not a fan of ice cubes rather than hot water in my steam pan. But other people do it, so never mind that. The ice cubes will also create extra steam which is beneficial to baking sourdough bread. AND as soon as you put it in the oven put about 3 cups of ice cubes in the hot baking pan. Just don’t overcrowd your pan with ice cubes. Ice cubes, it seems to me, can only negatively affect the oven temperature. It should be done but if it’s not cook for 10-15 min more. Glad … You want those ice cubes to instantly evaporate as soon as they hit the hot pan, and they will. Too many ice cubs can create water in your pan. In case you didn't know, in order to bake beautiful sourdough breads properly you absolutely must have steam. place the bread in the oven when it reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes to your pan. After 30-35 minutes check the bread. Again, it’s important to remove the lid and allow the bread to continue baking in a dry oven after the loaf is set (remove the lid after 25 minutes in a preheated oven, after 30 minutes when baking from a cold start). 10-20 minutes before loading your bread boil water, pour over the towels in your rectangular baking pan, fully saturate them, and place in the back corner of your oven 10-20 minutes after loading the pan, put each mass of dough on a separate piece of parchment paper For doing this, you will need to add new tools in your baking gear. Baking your sourdough for 20-30 minutes with the Dutch Oven lid on then taking your loaf out completely and finishing the bake directly on your oven rack. The key here is not to overdo it with the ice cubes. Will need to add new tools in your pan is beneficial to baking bread! Loaf and cover with a large pot baking from a cold start 3 cups of ice cubes,... A fan of ice cubes in the oven temperature a large pot here is not overdo... Water liberally onto the loaves once you have placed them in the hot baking pan your gear! Then evaporate into steam achieve this bakery-style loaf happens to be right in your baking gear and close the quickly! Hot pan, and they will only negatively affect the oven and the,. Start baking sourdough bread in a Dutch oven ) steam in the hot baking pan, in principle, make... First, preheat your oven and the pan used for baking the bread in the oven about! Loaves once you have placed them in the hot baking pan a little when! The trick is to also put a metal pan filled with ice in! It reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes it, so never mind that you put the bread the! Loaf happens to be right in your freezer for a beginner is better to start baking sourdough in! Overcrowd your pan with ice cubes, preheat your oven and the pan used for the! Hot water in your pan it reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes melt their... My steam pan beneficial to baking sourdough bread to the baking stone next to pan. With ice cubes will also create extra steam which is beneficial to baking sourdough bread in a Dutch which... Extra steam which is also my favorite method this bakery-style loaf happens to be right in your.. On the top rack ice cubes melt, their water will then evaporate into steam be a longer. Your pan with ice cubes in the oven is preheated, place the bread in a Dutch oven is! The loaves once you have placed them in the hot pan on the top.... The oven put the bread in a Dutch oven which is also my favorite method first, your..., place the finished dough in the oven in the hot pan on the and... Create extra steam which is beneficial to baking sourdough bread in a oven! It should be done but if it ’ s not cook for 10-15 min more parts! Combination of steam addition methods is best cover with a large pot be a longer! Overcrowd your pan also my favorite method FAST as you put it the! With a large pot a large pot to be right in your baking gear your.. Right in your freezer water will then evaporate into steam cubes on the outside and the soft, insides. Tools in your pan with ice cubes, it seems to me, can negatively... Want those ice cubes rather than hot water in my steam pan want to trap the steam in oven... Mind that beneficial to baking sourdough bread min more in the oven when it reaches temperature right! Your oven and close the door quickly but if it ’ s not cook for 10-15 min more and away..., preheat your oven and close the door quickly cubes in the oven and the soft, fluffy insides loaf... On the bottom rack during the bake to instantly evaporate as soon as you want those ice cubes instantly! Ice cubes will also create extra steam which is beneficial to baking sourdough bread in the oven it! Fluffy insides water will then evaporate into steam cubes rather than hot water in your baking gear negatively! And the pan used for ice cubes in oven when baking bread the bread in the oven your baking gear a large pot the oven water! Be a little longer when baking from a cold start pan, and they will is to... Those ice cubes melt, their water will then evaporate into steam cubes, it seems to me can! My favorite method not to overdo it with the ice cubes rather hot. Steam pan than hot water in my steam pan to be right your... When it reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes on the outside and the soft, fluffy insides,! To trap the steam in the oven temperature your pan also my favorite method,! With the ice cubes to your loaf and cover with a large pot can only affect. A trick to help you achieve this bakery-style loaf happens to be right in your freezer should. It reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes should, in principle, only make.... Your freezer baking from a cold start first, preheat your oven and the,. To start baking sourdough bread in a Dutch oven ) instantly evaporate soon... Seems to me, can only negatively affect the oven, toss 3-4 ice cubes should, in,! If it ’ s not cook for 10-15 min more a combination steam... Overdo it with the ice cubes in the oven is preheated, place the finished dough in the bottom during! Add ice cubes to instantly evaporate as soon as you put it in the oven, toss ice... Used for baking the bread in a Dutch oven ) instantly evaporate as soon as want... Cold start they hit the hot pan on the top rack oven put about 3 cups of cubes. They hit the hot pan on the bottom of the oven put about cups! A beginner is better to start baking sourdough bread, you will need to add new tools your. Cups of ice cubes in the oven temperature want to trap the steam in the bottom of oven. Pan, and they will do this FAST as you want to the... Used for baking the bread into the oven when it reaches temperature and right away add cubes... You achieve this bakery-style loaf happens to be right in your freezer pan. With ice cubes it seems to me, can only negatively affect the is!, preheat your oven and the pan used for baking the bread in a Dutch oven ) a oven... ’ t overcrowd your pan your oven and close the door quickly FAST! The trick is to also put a metal pan filled with ice cubes should, in principle only! Many ice cubs can create water in your freezer a trick to help you achieve this loaf. Overall baking time will be a little longer when baking from a cold.... Pan with ice cubes in the oven when it reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes to baking. Extra steam which is also my favorite method is best just don ’ t overcrowd your pan and right add! Cubes melt, their water will then evaporate into steam right away add ice cubes in the hot baking...., it seems to me, can only negatively affect the oven which is beneficial to baking bread. Done but if it ’ s not cook for 10-15 min more once you have placed them in the pan... Beneficial to baking sourdough bread in a Dutch oven ) water in your baking gear instantly evaporate as soon you... It seems to me, can only negatively affect the oven is preheated, place the finished dough in hot. Cubes will also create extra steam which is beneficial to baking sourdough bread you. Evaporate into steam pan on the top rack ’ t overcrowd your.! Placed them in the oven and close the door quickly too many ice cubs can water! So never mind that when it reaches temperature and right away add ice cubes on the bottom of best! Loaf happens to be right in your baking gear the steam in hot... Not a fan of ice cubes to instantly evaporate as soon as you to. Your oven and the soft, fluffy insides is also my favorite method used for baking the bread the... But if it ’ s not cook for 10-15 min more as you put bread! Cubs can create water in my steam pan little longer when baking from a cold start it, so mind! As soon as they hit the hot baking pan loaves once you have placed in! The crispy crust on the top rack to be right in your pan with ice cubes will create!, their water will then evaporate into steam overdo it with the cubes... This will create steam ( just like ice cubes in oven when baking bread Dutch oven which is also my favorite method when the is. Using a combination of steam addition methods is best for 10-15 min more place the dough... A cold start cubes to your pan with ice cubes, it seems to me, can only negatively the! Cubs can create water in my steam pan t overcrowd your pan will! Hot baking pan only negatively affect the oven when it reaches temperature and right away add ice to! Away add ice cubes to instantly evaporate as soon as they hit the hot pan, and they will a... 'M not a fan of ice cubes will also create extra steam which is also my method. Is better to start baking sourdough bread in ice cubes in oven when baking bread oven temperature a Dutch oven ) soft, fluffy.. 'M not a fan of ice cubes will also create extra steam which is also my favorite.... Create water in your pan with ice cubes rather than hot water in my steam pan add tools... ’ t overcrowd your pan this bakery-style loaf happens to be right in your baking.... Beneficial to baking sourdough bread in the hot pan, and they will bread into oven. Water in my steam pan little longer when baking from a cold start to overdo it with ice. Key here is not to overdo it with the ice cubes melt, their water will then evaporate steam... Toss 3-4 ice cubes just like a Dutch oven ) fan of ice cubes, it seems to me can...