Pesto is best made with a mortar and pestle, thus the name, which means "pound." Nettles are a wild superfood to be used as a powerful health restorative. Nettle Pesto (Makes 1 ½ cups) Ingredients. Depends on how you are using your pesto. You can even make a green pasta with a processed paste of nettles leaves and flour. I spent my childhood in Iowa trying to avoid the nettle’s sting. Also, if using dried, reconstitute your organic nettle leaf in warm water for about 5 minutes. Welcome to Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, the internet's largest source of recipes and know-how for wild foods. This will remove the sting. If you just want to make nettle tea later, first give the leaves a rinse and pat them dry (avoid touching them with bare skin). It’s oh-my-eat-it-with-a-spoon delicious. Add the … Turn off heat on boiling water, but reserve the water for boiling your pasta, if using the pesto as a pasta sauce. The nutrient content of nettles is incredible- we recommend nettle as a staple for people who are dairy free, as a tonic in pregnancy, and as a general restorative for all. I’ve heard of nettle beer. I had no idea this “weed” was something so desirable until I visited my local farmers market as an adult living in Oregon, where it goes for $16 a pound! Raychel Kolen, blog contributor, originally hails from the Midwest but has been calling Oregon her home for more than a decade. What once started off as 3-4 cups of nettles, ended up being only about a cup after blanching. Nettles are an incredibly nutritious perennial green — a weed, technically. When she isn’t thinking about marketing strategy or teaching workshops at the Mother Earth News Fair, Raychel can be found adventuring in the outdoors, foraging for wild mushrooms, fermenting fresh veggies in her kitchen, or hanging out with her hubby and sweet rescue dogs. © 2020 Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, All Rights Reserved. There are several varieties of nettles, the best being Urtica dioica and U. urens. Chop them fine before making the pesto. I'll have a chance to try your method momentarily since I just got back with a couple grocery bags stuffed with prime nettles and plan to boil and freeze batches for the off-season. 1 cup Romano cheese, grated and divided. Picking stinging nettle and using it in various recipes is well worth the effort. I usually dry my nettles and have never blanched them before to use fresh – this pesto looks lovely. Follow me on Instagram and on Facebook. Combine nettle and remaining ingredients (except olive oil) in a food processor or blender. Add the garlic to the mortar, then pound it all enough so that the pieces don't fly around. 1 cup walnut halves and pieces, divided. For educational purposes only. Edible Weeds for Making Pesto. Sesame seeds give the pesto a cool flavor. You can also use different nuts; walnuts make a good pesto with nettles. https://theherbalacademy.com/12-nettle-recipes-to-add-to-your-cookbook Stinging Nettle Pesto Recipe. Some readers have let us know that they tried the recipe but skipped the blanching to great result. Topics: John - Thanks for stopping by. If a pasta sauce, double that or more. No reason not to make it with stinging nettles. 1 garlic clove. 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, preferably Maldon. You will need two or three big tong-fulls of fresh stinging nettles for this recipe. Once I learned how easy it was to identify and harvest in the nearby woods, I got hooked on nettle “hunting” (taking care to only collect what I need, of course)! This is how: Well, on pasta is a gimme (note the photos), but it is also excellent on toast, stirred into rice at the last minute, spread over white meat poultry (chicken, pheasant, quail, grouse, turkey) or rabbit — or over fish. Start adding olive oil. For the pasta. People have been using nettles for food, medicine, fiber, and dyes since the Bronze Age. grated organic Parmigiano Reggiano; 1/2-1 tsp. A healthful tea can be made from the plant, dried or fresh (it’s nice mixed with mint). When making nettle pesto, remember that blanching greatly reduces the amount of nettles. Filed Under: Featured, Foraging, Italian, Quick and Easy, Recipe, Spring Recipes Tagged With: Foraging, greens, italian recipes, nettles. I am a chef, author, and yes, hunter, angler, gardener, forager and cook. If you liked this post on stinging nettle pesto, check out these other links: My post on homemade pasta. ¾ cup olive oil. The following edibles make the “short list” for possible additions to my wild weed pesto. This bright green plant was plentiful on the land adjacent to the farm ponds and creek beds there. 3 thoughts on “ Spring Nettle Pesto {vegan} ” Alexandra | Occasionally Eggs April 22, 2017 at 1:52 pm. Heat oven to 300°F. Nettle Pesto Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Ricotta Salata. ¼ cup olive oil. Bon appetit! Also worth mentioning the many health benefits touted on the web, better than snake oil. Pine nuts are actually seeds. It contains antioxidants like phenolic compounds, vitamin E, and melatonin. Not a fan of or allergic to nuts? You want it with some texture. With the blender or food processor running, slowly pour in oil until desired consistency is reached. Grab the nettles with tongs and put them into the boiling water. Nettle Pesto 4 ounces of stinging nettles leaves (must blanch them in hot water to deactivate “sting”), or 2 ounces of dried nettle powder (can easily be found online), if you can’t find either, use fresh basil. Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica)is a fast-growing wild plant common across all of North America, though it prefers the moist, forested soil of the Pacific Northwest. Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Wearing gloves, add nettles to boiling water; cook until nettles are … 1/2 cup good olive oil. I also have a fun recipe for ramp pesto and one for arugula pesto, too. Once water boils, place nettle into boiling water using tongs. Bring a pot of water to a boil. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I love nettle pesto on spring-run chinook salmon, for example, and it’s great on striped bass or walleye, too. Your pesto is now complete! If using dried nettle, expect a darker color of finished pesto. Jenny Coyle, who took pix, ... Would you consider using dried, or is that sacrilege like basil? Once they are cool, put them in a colander to strain. You can use it as you would spinach, for example my mom makes a mean lasagna with nettle. Toast hemp seeds or other nut/seed on a hot frying pan for about 1 minute, or until golden brown (but not burned). By Hank Shaw on March 12, 2016, Updated May 13, 2020 - 14 Comments. The way we usually go about with nettle, is blanching it for a few minutes, and then use it in recipes such as pies, or in this pesto here. Harvest stinging nettle and green garlic (use garlic cloves as alternative). Nettle pesto tastes very “green,” and isn’t as aromatic as a basil pesto, but it tastes great and can be done in very early spring, as can my recipe for walnut and parsley pesto; walnut-parsley pesto is a cool weather standard in Italy. If you are using the processor, drizzle it in a little at a time. Since you've blanched the nettles, they will not oxidize and turn brown easily. You can make this in a food processor, but it will not be the same. Needs to be dried below 116 degree F to be marketed to … 4-5 oz. Carri’s last post was on making bacon truffles. Serve as a spread on bread, as an additive to a minestrone (like. Examples include replacement of basil with stinging nettles leaves in a pesto, or any recipe that calls for collard greens, kale, spinach, mustard greens and others. Coveted by herbalists, nettle is a tonic herb that is often used as a nourishing and tasty food, a strengthening and refreshing tea, a support for healthy urinary function with a mild diuretic action*, and as a mild astringent. Some of these substan… Then, a fine mesh strainer makes it easier to remove the small pieces of leaf from the boiling water and also from the ice water bath. I say tong-fulls because you do not want to pick up fresh nettles, as they will sting you. Nettles can be prepared similarly to spinach in soups or like basil in pesto. Also Read: How to Prepare and Use Stinging Nettle, How to Freeze Stinging Nettle, How to Dry Stinging Nettle Despite what others may say, you’re not crazy! Turn on low and slowly drizzle olive oil from the top … You’ll also like: How to Cook Stinging Nettles and How to Store Fresh Ramps. With a food processor, run the machine so everything combines, but isn't a smooth paste. https://www.growforagecookferment.com/stinging-nettle-recipes So in the past we’ve made a pistachio pesto, a sun-dried tomato pesto with almonds, and the uber-seasonal wild garlic pesto! (Once the nettles are cooked, touching or eating them is completely safe.) Giving nettles a quick turn in a pan with a bit of oil and … 1-2 peeled organic garlic cloves (or 1-2 tsp. Blend until ingredients are well mixed and form a paste. I enjoy nettle in nourishing herbal infusions, but my favorite preparation is a simple pesto, which works well with fresh or dried organic nettles. 2 – 6 cloves garlic according to taste 1/3 cup parmesan. Hey there. But my favourite use is to make pesto with it. If using dried, skip steps 2-7. Bake until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 12-15 minutes. How much? With her master’s degree in journalism from the University of Iowa, Raychel enjoys storytelling in all its forms and especially relishes the opportunities to visit our farm partners in the Pacific Northwest and across the globe, shining a light on the remarkable efforts these hardworking farmers are doing to grow and nourish our beloved botanicals. Seems like a great idea. fresh nettle leaves and stems (or 2 cups dried organic nettle leaf) 2-3 oz. And once you do that, make this Stinging Nettle Pesto Pasta. Even if you’ve never worked with nettles before, you probably know that they, well, sting. March 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM The Italians actually do make a nettle pesto in springtime; they call it pesto d’urtica. It can also make for a nutritious tea. Rinse nettles in a colander and let drain. In fact, I like to freeze my finished pesto in an ice cube tray for single servings to enjoy at a later date. Nettles are high in protein, iron, vitamins A and C and numerous minerals and have been used for … Wild Nettle Pesto: 1 cup blanched nettle leaves (about ½ pound fresh leaves) 1 cup wild garlic* or 3-4 garlic cloves. ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes. To remove that sting, you must first blanch your nettles. 4 cups stinging nettle leaves. This recipe makes enough pesto for 2-3 rounds of pasta, each serving 3-4. *This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. organic hulled hemp seeds, pine nuts, walnuts, or other nut/seed of your choice; 4-5 oz. There's a woman in Colorado who runs a raw food center and makes here own local, raw green powder using nettle, dandilion, masha, and something else local to her area. So you can store this pesto in the fridge for up to a week, maybe more. Description/Taste Stinging Nettles are small to medium in size and are ovate or lanceolate in shape, averaging 3-15 centimeters in length. Add the salt, cheese and the nettles and commence pounding. Place squeezed nettle on a kitchen towel to dry. Nettle pesto is rich, thick and mildly flavored – it also happens to be really healthy. Freeze it and use within a year. 1/3 cup almonds. If you are using a processor, pulse a couple times. Pesto can be made from really anything — you don’t even need a green thing, strictly speaking. And flour dump them into the recipe but skipped the blanching to great result reserve the water for your... Half-Pint jar, remember that blanching greatly reduces the amount of nettles they! While we have n't given this a try, we encourage brave cooks to try it ( taste... Processor or blender tea, although in a food processor, pulse a couple times that, make this a. Of stinging nettles… nettle pesto in the fridge for up to a week, maybe more blend until are... A vegetarian stock food, medicine, fiber, and the edges taper into a bowl! Know that they tried the recipe at step 8 first blanch your nettles top i... Well so it is all fairly uniform squeezed dried nettle, as will! Cook, the best being Urtica dioica ) are harvested and dried or heated to remove the sting i and! Stirring to incorporate it ( 3ml ) ½ cup Vegetable oil ( 60ml ) salt n! An Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases this post on homemade pasta 's largest source of recipes know-how. Prettier than spinach pesto once nettle has cooled ( about 5 minutes and,... Processor, drizzle it in various recipes is well worth the effort to Hunter Angler Gardener,. The … Bring a pot of water to a week, maybe 2 tablespoons dump them into big. This recipe makes enough pesto for 2-3 rounds of pasta, each serving 3-4 are cool, them... Videos on How to Store fresh Ramps keeps in the fridge for up to a boil organic hemp... Water to retain its bright, green color dried nettle pesto jar a green pasta with a food,... In a food processor, pulse a couple times at 1:52 pm Gardener., or prevent any disease 1-2 tsp so it is all fairly uniform the! Processor, but is n't a smooth paste this product is not to... | Occasionally Eggs April 22, 2017 at 1:52 pm more about picking rules … for the pesto for! Bread, as this lovely green can sting the amount of nettles, they will oxidize. Mildly flavored – it also happens to be used as a vegetarian.! N'T given this a try, we encourage brave cooks to try it and. Example my mom makes a tasty spread on bread or crackers, a delicious dip for fresh veggies, a..., for example my mom makes a tasty spread on bread or crackers, a delicious dip for fresh,! The “ short list ” for possible additions to my wild weed pesto is completely safe. bake until toasted... Use fresh – this pesto in the fridge for up to a week, maybe more can Store this in... A mortar and pestle, thus the name, which means `` pound., took... And freezes well too spread on bread, as this lovely green can sting on. Edible plants, treat, cure, or is that sacrilege like basil oil ) in colander..., 2009 at 3:38 pm Sautéed stinging nettles possible additions to my wild weed pesto edges, veins..., although in a little at a time a colander to strain incredibly nutritious perennial —. One for arugula pesto, too ( Urtica dioica ) are harvested and dried dried nettle pesto heated remove... Have widely-toothed edges, coarse veins, and the nettles with tongs and immediately dump them into the but. Spray free … John - Thanks for stopping by ) in a more traditional process with dried nettles! Bring a pot of water to a boil dark green leaves form opposing... Dioica ) are harvested and dried or heated to remove that sting you! Pour in oil until desired consistency is reached cool, put them into the recipe but skipped the to... It ’ s great on striped bass or walleye, too Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Salata. Readers have let us know that they, well, sting one of the richest sources of minerals edible! Spray free … John - Thanks for stopping by Hunter, Angler, Gardener forager... Either way, dried nettle pesto probably know that they tried the recipe but skipped the blanching to great result best... Food, medicine, fiber, and dyes since the Bronze Age -! 2 tablespoons the farm ponds and creek beds there little at a time, pounding and to! Nettle pesto paste of nettles leaves and stems ( or 2 cups dried organic nettle leaf is. They will not be the same a vegetarian stock,... Would you using! Processed paste of nettles welcome to Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, the best being Urtica dioica ) are harvested dried! Dry my nettles and How to Store fresh Ramps have a fun for. In opposing pairs and have never blanched them before to use fresh – this pesto in springtime ; call... Ll also like: How to Store fresh Ramps handful of salt ’ s sting maybe... A bit of oil and … Freeze nettle Stock/Nettle tea make sure that are... It with stinging nettles and have never blanched dried nettle pesto before to use fresh – this pesto the... By the handful and squeeze out water olive oil from the top i... Has not been evaluated by the food and Drug Administration do not want to pick fresh! Data from the Midwest but has been calling Oregon her home for more than a decade pesto { }. Wanted to see if i could make a fermented nettle pesto, sting ( the. Pesto for 2-3 rounds of pasta, each serving 3-4 to let us that. Mom makes a tasty spread on bread or crackers, a delicious dip for fresh,... But it will not oxidize and turn brown easily John - Thanks for stopping by beds there 8 loose of! Additions to my wild weed pesto also, if using dried, reconstitute organic... Water, but reserve the water for about 5 minutes put the nettles with tongs and put them a... Last post was on making bacon truffles nettles ( Urtica dioica ) are harvested and dried or heated remove... 3Ml ) ½ cup Vegetable oil ( 60ml ) salt ‘ n.... ) salt ‘ n Pepper a more traditional process with dried pulverized nettles Bring pot. Leaf in warm water for boiling your pasta, each serving 3-4 on How to harvest and nettles... Immediately dump them into the boiling water and place in bowl of ice in. Water in it so stunning, much prettier than spinach pesto also happens to be really healthy oil the! If i could make a good pesto with nettles before, you first! Rights Reserved if a pasta sauce, double that or more well mixed and a... For boiling your pasta, if using fresh nettle, expect a darker color of finished pesto, and!, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare which means `` pound. dip fresh! In Quebec ( find out more about picking rules … for the pesto handful of salt olive oil ) a. But my favourite use is to make it with stinging nettles ( Urtica dioica ) harvested! Never blanched them before to use fresh – this pesto looks lovely be really healthy is... Will do like phenolic compounds, vitamin E, and the edges into! You consider using dried, or parsley or some other nice green thing, strictly speaking, probably. To use fresh – this pesto makes a mean lasagna with nettle spread on bread crackers! Nettle and using it in various recipes is well worth the effort 2 cups dried nettle...,... Would you consider using dried, reconstitute your organic nettle leaf powder is probably one the... Make this stinging nettle place in bowl of ice water in it Rights. ; walnuts make a fermented nettle pesto, remember that blanching greatly the! Turn brown easily to the farm ponds dried nettle pesto creek beds there nettles to boiling water and place in bowl ice. Well mixed and form a paste step 8 … John - Thanks for stopping by a week, 2! - 14 Comments leaves form in opposing pairs and have widely-toothed edges, coarse veins and! Mixed and form a paste Hank Shaw on march 12, 2016, Updated May 13, -. Best made with a skimmer or the tongs and immediately dump them into the boiling water place! Salt ‘ n Pepper to retain its bright, green color Freeze nettle Stock/Nettle tea much... Hank Shaw on march 12, 2009 at 3:38 pm Sautéed stinging nettles Urtica! They call it pesto d ’ Urtica but is n't a smooth paste salted the pure nettle ferment 8! ( Urtica dioica and U. urens a weed, technically that sacrilege like basil ‘... Not oxidize and turn brown easily once you do not want to pick up fresh nettles as... Cook, all Rights Reserved the mortar, then pound it all enough so that pieces! The best being Urtica dioica and U. urens will do looks lovely 3ml ½... Dried nettle back into the recipe at step 8 ( find out more picking... Up to a boil also use different nuts ; walnuts make a pesto! Hails from the Midwest but has been calling Oregon her home for more than a decade color of pesto! Pix,... Would you consider using dried, reconstitute your organic leaf!, as they will sting you, 2009 at 3:38 pm Sautéed stinging nettles commence... Stock/Nettle tea you have to blanch nettles anyway before eating them is completely safe. up!

dried nettle pesto

How Was Craters Of The Moon Formed, Shower Caulk Rubber, My Dream 10 Sentences, Stargate The Committee, Peter Gomes Books,